Tuesday, June 26, 2018

Frank Giuffrida's Hilltop Steakhouse


This is an ad from a 1979 Red Sox game program, the magazine you can buy at the Sox game with the scoring card inside and all kinds of fluffy articles to fill the rest. Hilltop Steakhouse, founded in 1961 by Frank Giuffrida was an iconic fixture on Route 1 going into Boston. (I believe there were multiple locations, but this is the one I think of).

The restaurant closed in like 2013 and I believe has been torn down now. There were all kinds of stories in the news after it closed of locals breaking in to steal souvenirs of this iconic place.

On a personal note, I ate there once. My mother and father were driving me to the airport so that I could board a plane for Ireland. I was 20 and would be gone for a year and we were all kind of nervous and sad. Ireland was still a bit of a war zone, so they decided that filling us all with steak would be better than sitting around and worrying.

I only remember that the steak I got was huge, and the only reason I remember is because the airline served a tiny little steak for the meal. I laughed and cried a little as I ate it, flying off to my first real adventure.


1 comment:

  1. damn, that's one LARGE sign! I don't eat beef, so I would never have stopped here.

    ReplyDelete