Friday, March 15, 2019

1979 Winston Cigarettes Ad


This is from a Red Sox game program from 1979. "I want the best taste I can get, I get it from Winston."

I tell you what, I used to be a smoker and would have been totally on board with the concept of "taste" and cigarettes, but I very much remember cheating and sneaking cigarettes when I was trying to quit and they actually taste terrible, like cotton pulling the moisture from your mouth. It was peer pressure that made them enjoyable in the beginning, and then the nicotine that told me they were enjoyable and had some sort of "taste" that I should like.

Love the Mad Men episodes where they have to confront marketing these things- "It's toasted!"

1 comment:

  1. "I want the best cancer I can get, I get it from cigarettes." - fixed it for them!

    ReplyDelete