Thursday, May 3, 2018

Kool Cigarettes Ad, 1990

This is an advertisement for Kool cigarettes that appeared in magazines around 1990.

They were mentholated cigarettes, so that the smoke actually felt "cool" going into your lungs. Yeah, it's a pretty insane habit and even more insane that we take business more seriously than lives. I smoked for years, knew it was bad for me and would rabidly defend the habit to anyone that was critical of it. Thank goodness I quit! Never did like menthol cigarettes, but the image being sold here is pretty Kool.




10 comments:

  1. my FIL died of lung cancer in 2005; smoked 3 packs of Marlboros a day; began smoking at age 13, died at age 71. SMOKING STINKS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't remember that ad. I do remember the Marlboro Man. He died of lung cancer, as well. In the 60's no one knew how dangerous smoking was and it was promoted as being cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually- they DID know the dangers and sold-promoted them anyhow. Businesses and the government choosing profits over lives.

      Delete
  3. Both my parents smoked 2.5 packs per day - each! But the guy in the ad, just looks like douchey kind of dude.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I smoked for years too -- and I smoked menthols for a while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always wanted to smoke menthols and would go back to my usual brand quickly

      Delete
  5. The 1960s commercial jingle immediately popped into my head. Just shows what an impact cigarette advertising DID have on kids. "You'll be smoking Cool all the time..."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Print advertising was bad enough, I'd never thought about jingles!

      Delete