Wednesday, April 25, 2018

Remember Getting Photos Developed?

I've been scanning old photos (as I'm sure you can tell) and it occurred to me to scan the envelope some of the pictures were in. Do you remember the old days when you sent in your film in a mailer and a week or two later you got them back? A WEEK OR TWO!!

I grew up in the sticks, so city folk probably had this earlier but eventually we were able to take our film to the local drug store and drop it off and A WEEK LATER we'd get the pictures back. Eventually this was cut down to a few days and we felt like the Jetsons.

I think kids today have a harder time than we did, so I don't fault them for missing out on this whole process, but I do think we learned a hard lesson from the days of snail-mail film developing- we'd send in a roll of film thinking we had bunches of great pictures on there and ended up with blurry shots or the flash didn't work or whatever. I learned both patience and disappointment while my films were being processed!


konica film developing envelopes.


5 comments:

  1. oh gosh, yes I do. Even remember my first camera, a Brownie. Times sure have changed, haven't they?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes, I used to mail away my film for developing too -- because it was cheaper that way. I remember when "24 hour photos" became available -- wow, so fast! And developing film was so expensive that you thought twice before taking a photo -- it had to be "worth it," LOL! Gawd, digital photos are just SO much better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. we would take my dad's film to the local drug store; they would send it off and a week later we had pictures. then came the fotomat booth. now it's all digital, baby!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WE had 24 hours Photo around here, a brick kiosk with a drive up window - drop of the film and pick it up the next day. My Dad was also an x-ray tech so black and whites at home.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Remember Mystic Labs? So high-tech and efficient. And oh those hundreds upon hundreds of prints we ended up with everywhere. I take 10 times the photos (at least) now that I'm 100 percent digital, but at least there are no boxes of lost-to-me photos.

    ReplyDelete