Wednesday, April 18, 2018

The National Memorial Arch Valley Forge, Pennsylvania

This is a plaque on the National Memorial Arch at Valley Forge. I took this picture in 1988 or 1989 I think. The plaque has an excerpt from a speech given by Henry Armitt Brown on the hundredth anniversary of the encampment.

And here in this place of sacrifice, in this vale of humiliation, in this valley of the shadow, of that death out of which, the life of America rose, regenerate and free, let us believe, with an abiding faith, that to them, union will seem as dear, and liberty as sweet, and progress as glorious, they were to our fathers, and are to you and me, and that the institutions, which have made us happy, preserved by the, virtue of our children, shall bless, the remotest generation, to the time to come.

6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I think we hit the King of Prussia Mall that day and then out to Valley Forge! Late winter early spring of 1989 I think.

      Delete
    2. 1989 I was living in the DC burbs; I moved back to my hometown in 1999.

      Delete
  2. Cool!

    (sorry, bad joke about the winter Washington spent at Valley Forge)

    ReplyDelete